hashtags for a footnote found poem in the letters from Phillis Wheatley to another enslaved woman named Obour Tanner
#postsingleblackfemaleasretail (status update @phillispeters)
#prepostalhopenotefloats (@obourtan via the man)
*From the PostPost Series: (for those of us who are so over believing anything is ever over) by Alexis Pauline Gumbs
or a guide to black feminist time travel via twitter by @alexispauline
this is the map made by marker-stains/ technicolor testament to what we want and how many dirty man made miles we will print our hands into
this is the morning melting across timezones/afternoon of ancient questions/ can you hear me/ can you see me/ are you there
this is the meet-up of movement and memory/ how our ancestors kiss each other in the stairwells of satellites/mischievous and right on time
so this is for the place past noon where audre burns herself into khaliah’s CDR lusting for the mail and me
this is the toni cade sent dream of women on buses and fertile dinner tables in the name of @moyazb
here is the cross street in Harriet’s salsa soul smile/flashing over the archival scanner/ to the beat of it is still 1974 somewhere
to find Jewelle Gomez’s study take a left at the bee-kept poetic license plate honey/knock half as many times as your pulse says yes
slip secrets in the shoes by the door/pack promise into potluck plates left/ this sideways eight of exchange/this always excuse to come home
sage through the scent of homeless archives/ face the nomad pension of lives overspent eating dreams believing that you would come
maryanne’s hair gets shorter while story grows long into your wrists/ these are the twists unpruned trellised listen into trust
this is the every workday text message from Max in the spats in Jackson/ ville/ starting good morning and ending all caps HOPE PRAY FAITH
this is the decades long relevance of jodeci for the butch groove/ boi band repertoire/ gyrate into a one handed push up & hope nobody faints
this is 87 years of egypt, yemen, jordan and iran blasting through Ms. Vera’s tight set mouth/saying youth catch on saying not gonna take it
sing a scalp remembrance spell for every strand of my knotted hair left under someones guest bed rug or couch/ here’s to our DNA connection
start a fall down drag out tumblr for every rumbling elder stomach whom our forgetting has not fed
line the living room and hall with lent books and breakthrough memories/ low enough that the kids can palimpsest them all in crayon
fill a vehicle older than your siblings with cell-phone numbers and snacks/retrostalk the beating of your heart
this is where it happens/this is what is happening/you are here #womenofcolorcatalyzingknowledgein18tweets
Gumbs, A. P. (2015) RT@philliswheat. Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, No.6. doi:10.7264/N3M043P8
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
- will revive/revive in better times.
- pray write me soon for I long to hear from you.
- frequent meditation/mindful strength made perfect in weakness
- i have been silent. i have not been unmindful.
- when we leave this world excessively charm’d/fleeting vanities on guard
- happiness pleasure/ a variety of hindrances
- the world hangs loose about us. i shall wait.
- profound ignorance overshadows the land
- your tenderness for my welfare. great benefactor. praise.
- treacherous hearts prepare
- let us imagine the death of my mistress
- poor little outcast in terms how tender?
- inexpressible raptures/ earnest longings this family in your closet/ if you want more
- that happy mansion much dispos’d our happy (travelling) case
- bowels of divine love expanded (semblant of darkness Love itself)
- semblant of darkness infinite Love itself
- saving change arrive alive excellence obscur’d and crucified
- how happy that man who is prepar’d for that night wherin no man can work.
- meet me in the region of consummate blessedness
- pounds pence hence 5 books safe to hand
- dear sister dear friend